Conceal & Carry Deadly Weapons

With the passing of House Bill 40, qualified Kentucky residents are allowed to conceal and carry deadly weapons as of
October 1, 1996.
The Kentucky State Police are in-charge of issuing a Concealed Carry Permit to carry a Concealed Deadly Weapon. Our job is to take an application for a permit from a Lewis County resident and verify his/her completion certificate of the required training from a qualified training instructor along with the payment of necessary fees and take a photograph of the applicant and forward that information to the Kentucky State Police. Then in approximately 3-5 weeks when the Kentucky State Police issue a permit they notify the applicant via mail and the applicant can pick-up his/her permit in our office during normal business hours.

As of July 12, 2006 , in accordance with House Bill 290 and the changes it made to KRS 237.110, anyone applying for a CCDW license or renewal must be a citizen of the United States . Therefore, applicants will need to fill out and sign a Citizenship Affidavit declaring citizenship to the United States , which will be attached to the application.
Another change that was made to KRS 237.110 states that of the $60 application fee, $40 of it must be a check or money order made payable to the Kentucky State Treasury, and any application submitted to the KSP that does not have the $40 fee with it will be returned unprocessed. The remaining $20, (of the $60 application fee), can be check or money order made out to the Lewis County Sheriff’s Office. For more on House Bill 290, click the following link:
What Credentials Do You Need To Bring?

  • US Government issued ID
  • or Proof of Social Security Social Security Card
  • or Letter from SSA
  • or Most Recent State Income Tax Return
  • Proof of Kentucky Residency
  • Training Certificate Original plus copy (A copy can be made at the Sheriff’s Office)
  • Separate Photo for the Application (A photo can be taken at the Sheriff’s Office)

If you decide to bring in your own photo:
It must be a 4 x 3 1//2 or a 4 x 5 shoulder shot, A passport photo is not acceptable.
The applicant may not wear a hat in the photo or tinted eyeglasses

CCDW Application Fee
$40.00Application Fee (check or money order made payable to Kentucky State Treasury)
$20.00Application Fee (check or money order to the Sheriff’s Office)
$ 2.00Photo (If needed)

To renew your CCDW license, come to the Sheriff’s Office during regular business hours.

As of March 9, 2001 , we can not accept a training course certificate from the Department of Fish and Wildlife (Firearms Safety and Hunter Education Course) and federal agencies because neither are providing training in Kentucky firearm laws (Use of Force, Access, etc.) which is required. This also include the military DD-214, which will NOT be accepted.
For more information about CCDW training and to obtain a listing of Certified Instructors in y our County, go to DOCJT’s “Carrying Concealed Deadly Weapons License Training“ web page or contact the DOCJT’s office at 859-622-8062.
For more information about qualifications, applications, restrictions, judicial status licenses, certified police officer CCDW’s or LEOSA, please visit the Kentucky State Police web site: or contact the KSP at 502-222-8700.

Change of Personal Information
If you need to change personal information such as an address change you can obtain a form at the sheriff’s office. We will forward that information to the Kentucky State Police. There is no charge to submit a change of personal information.
The Kentucky State Police will use the same picture from your current permit and produce a new card with the changed information on it.
They will send the card to us and send you a Flash Pak when it is done indicating you can pick up your new card at our Office.
Please bring your old card along.